Isn’t it nice to get a good discount and save some money once in a while? Nowadays we can observe the rise in popularity among solutions that offer people discount coupons, and Groupon represents the brightest example of those resources. We shall explore how such a site could be designed and what nuances have to be taken into account for a startup to succeed.
What you should start with is to make an online marketplace by taking the below steps:
- Purchase a domain and the hosting;
- Decide on the development approach;
- Find developers who will realize your startup;
- Set up your email system;
- Get connected to the online payment solutions;
- Carry out other critical activities to build a Groupon-like platform.
Nothing could be simpler than applying for WordPress to create a successful resource akin to Groupon. In such a case, you’ll need to install additional useful plugins for your brainchild to deliver all the important features and to operate to its best capacity.
Pros of such development approach:
- fast and easy development;
- possibility to save the budget;
- a chance to enlarge the resource’s features with the help of varied plugins;
- widespread availability.
Cons of this creation technique:
- all platforms built with the WordPress tools are quite the same;
- proper operation will demand up to 5 additional plugins (extra costs);
- poor level of reliability and low safety.
Definitely, there’s quite a good variety of ready-made instruments that are made to facilitate the development of coupon sites. Despite the fact that you still might need to carry out some additional work, the main basis will be completely set for you. In case it appears that certain functionality is missing, it won’t be rocket science to install everything you’d like the website to have.
Pros of the given development approach:
- increased availability;
- comparatively low cost;
- a great diversity of ready-to-apply means;
- effective solution for POC (proof of concept).
Cons of such designing technique:
- certain issues might occur while adjusting maintenance and support;
- insufficient reliability;
- poor safety;
Building from scratch
The only technique to come up with an effective and unique Groupon-like service is to create it from square one. That’s the right way to consider all the diverse requirements of the startup in question. You have to understand that this method will surely increase the development costs, but in certain circumstances, the game is worth the candle.
Pros of this development:
- absence of any restrictions regarding the feature set or the design;
- the highest possible level of private data protection;
- all the rights to the code belong to a site owner.
Cons of the mentioned technique:
- a longer time of the development;
- large development costs;
- the necessity for technically-skilled outsourcing associates or colleagues (unless you have the required programming skills yourself).
Critical features of a coupon website
Broadly speaking, the audience shall be capable of searching, viewing, and clearly, applying coupons with no need to take any unnecessary actions to achieve the goals. And, administrators shall be able to manage the recourse and coordinate all the activities. Thus, the features your solution delivers shall help users in their attempts.
There’ll be 3 groups of users:
- The Buyers (registration & login, offer viewing, friends invitation, bookmarks adding, category searching, integration with social media);
- The Sellers (registration & login, offer adding, trade managing, e-mail integration, orders handling, coupon redemption, social network integration);
- The Administrators (login, trade managing, categories/subcategories handling, sellers and purchasers management, content updating, social media integration).
Those mentioned features are pretty enough to launch a Groupon-like service. However, to become a decent competitor to this well-known marketplace monster, you’ll have to also implement more advanced features, for instance:
- notifications to keep users in the loop with offers that might interest them;
- wishlist to make a list of coupons the audience will possibly purchase in the future;
- tools to find presents at reduced prices;
- other ideas that will help to promote the company.
Development and promotion hints
There are a few more critical aspects to keep in mind while building and promoting a coupon site of your dream.
The idea is to attract users’ attention with a vivid and eloquent website design. Choosing too bright tacky colors will rather discourage the audience, so it’s better to take the color scheme to make your platform look appealing and attractive.
Stats prove that almost 50% of all Groupon clients apply mobile devices to run things in the service. Meaning, creating a mobile application is as important as the website itself. Moreover, mobile traffic is steadily increasing compared to the web one, so you might want to set your priorities accordingly.
The key objective is to encourage people to purchase coupons to get discounts. You need to put the effort to convince customers to respond to your CTA, thus, make it inviting.
Promotion of your coupon resource will demand a well-thought-through marketing campaign, which makes a huge contribution to your site’s success. The strategy has to be versatile, including but not limited to SEO optimization, targeted ads, social media marketing, and the like.
Creating a platform akin to Groupon could be a pretty fascinating and profitable venture when you know what it’s all about.